Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer (Rock) – Kamloops, BC
BGC's Kamloops office is seeking an intermediate geotechnical engineer or engineering geologist with a background in rock mechanics theory and practice. The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, 5+ years relevant work experience in a consulting environment, and be comfortable working with multi-disciplined project teams working in remote, challenging environments. The candidate should possess experience with site investigations for prefeasibility, feasibility, and detailed design level mining studies, and experience with open pit and/or underground stability analyses.
- Bachelor’s degree or postgraduate degree in geology, geological engineering, or related discipline;
- 5+ years of consulting experience and technical leadership;
- Professional designation or registered as a GIT/EIT with APEGBC, or similar association;
- Understanding of rock mechanics theory/practice, including rock mass classification, structural analysis, open pit and underground stability analysis, and associated software programs
- Proven ability to manage site investigation programs for mining studies, including rock core drilling, soils drilling (mud rotary, auger, or sonic), geotechnical logging of rock and soils, packer testing, core orientation methods, and piezometer installation.
Desired Attributes and Knowledge
- Strong technical site investigation skills with a proven ability to manage multiple soil and rock coring drill rigs and excavators and associated field staff;
- Experience operating an Acoustic or Optical Televiewer, and interpretation of the data, is considered an asset;
- Willingness and availability to travel for extended periods of time to project locations in North and South America and beyond;
- Understanding and application of industry standard rock and soil classification systems
- Exposure to geomechanical modeling and rock stability analysis programs, such as DIPS, FLAC, UDEC, SlopeW, Slide;
- Ability to contribute to the preparation of reports and presentations;
- Understanding of groundwater pressure and flow regimes
- A self-starter with a keen desire to contribute to technical excellence in a “one team” environment;
- Ability to communicate with clients and appreciate their project goals;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese is considered an asset;
- Interest in mentoring young junior geotechnical engineers and geoscientists.
BGC aspires to be the world leader in applied earth sciences by 2025. We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefit package, and a casual but professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a covering letter in confidence to:
Ms. Kari Hughes