The Underground Mining Society (UMS) supports the continued growth of mining in Canada by advancing and facilitating the exchange of information and data on all subjects related to the industry, and promoting mining to the general public as a positive, growing and dynamic industry with many exciting opportunities.
Major responsibilities of the UMS include:
- Organize MEMO (Maintenance Engineering – Mine Operators) Conferences, in conjunction with the Maintenance and Engineering Society, the hosting CIM branch, and CIM National;
- Promote, chair, solicit papers for Technical Sessions at the CIM Conference and Exhibition
- Provide peer review of technical papers for publication;
- Promote mini conferences on specific topics of interest to UMS members.
The objectives of the UMS are to:
- Promote and facilitating the exchange of information and data on all subjects related to the mining industry;
- Educate the public on many aspects of the mining industry;
- Promote mining as a positive, growing and dynamic industry with many exciting opportunities;
- Promote the improvement of underground mining standards through peer review of technical papers, public and private industry presentations of technology, and best practice topics;
- Encourage individuals to join/stay in the mining industry through the award of scholarships;
- Serve as a resource and support body to mine operating personnel, consulting engineers and designers, and suppliers of mine equipment.
UMS sponsors events that provide a forum for industry professionals and students to share ideas on topics related to underground mining. The following support has been provided by the UMS since the society was formed in 2011:
- For the mining teachers' tour, hosted by the Canadian Ecology Centre (http://www.canadianecology.ca);
- For students to attend annual CIM conferences;
- For the UMS Society award, to recognize the outstanding achievement or contribution in the field of mining engineering of a CIM member. Awarded at the AGM.
To be considered for a request, please complete and submit the sponsorship request form at least one month prior to the date the sponsorship is required. All requests must be reviewed during a monthly CIM UMS meeting before they can be approved.
Contact us: email@example.com